Tuesday 3 January 2012

Bob Graham training

No, I'm not about to start training for another Bob Graham! I got an email earlier this morning from a friend who is planning an attempt and he was asking how much training I thought he needs to do and what my thoughts were regarding certain races / challenge events leading up to the attempt. With this in mind I thought it my be interesting to post a summary of what I did last spring leading up to me getting round (beginning of January to ten days before round on May 13 / 14):

Total days in Lakes recceing: 13
Total hours on Lakeland fells: 70
Total 4hour plus runs (fell): 15
Total climb (approx but not far off): 150,000feet
Total double day weekends (running Saturday and Sunday): 12
Longest run: 22miles / 8,000feet (recce of Lake, Ridge and Wainwight LDWA route) in just under 8hours
Fell races / challenges done: Hardmoors 30 (on January 1st!), Hebden LDWA, Wadsworth Trog, 4 Lakeland Passes LDWA, Heptonstall fell race

If I was asked to sum up what is needed I'd say 'climb, climb, climb', and long days on your feet. I'm not convinced about the worth of 'racing' but long fell races and LDWA-type challenges make useful training days plus are barometers as to how the training is going. The races etc I did felt right but others I could have done include the Howarth Hobble, Blubberhouses 25 LDWA and the Calderdale Hike. The Lake, Ridge and Wainwright is on again this year as a challenge event but isn't being held until July

No comments:

Post a Comment