Friday 6 January 2012

Great Whernside

We drove up to Kettlewell last night hoping to take part in the night 'race' up Great Whernside. However, we arrived at the start just in time to see a load of headtorchs disappear over the horizon. Therefore we had a steady trot up as far as the crags above Hagg Dyke, then set off back down. Ian Holmes, who went on to win comfortably, passed us as we turned round and it was interesting to see him at such close quarters, especially descending fairly rough ground

The evening was the polar opposite to the night before The sky was wonderfully clear and there was little if any wind. After getting changed at the car it was into the King's Head for pie and peas and a couple of pints of Jingle Pot ale from the excellent Yorkshire Dales Brewery based in Askrigg, up in Wensleydale. Apart from the mild irritation of missing the race we had a great night out. I've run most days since Christmas and in spite of often only doing a few miles I can't ever remember enjoying it as much as I am just now!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like something I`d like to do. I too only get to see the speedsters when I'm either marshalling or on an out and back! I too try and watch and learn :-)

    ReplyDelete