Tuesday 24 April 2012

A good day

I got up early this morning and went down to Barden Bridge for a bird watching walk before work. The woods were alive with birdsong and I saw many of the expected species including several calling nuthatch, maybe six pied flycatcher (all male), loads of sand martins, treecreeper, chiffchaff, willow warbler, a pair of blackcap and goosander. No wood warblers were about in spite of walking as far as last spring and summer's 'hotspots' but  I did see a mystery wader disappearing away quickly as I walked back to the car. I only saw it for a few seconds and I'm fairly sure it was a redshank (it sounded like one) but I'm not sure

This evening Stef and I ran from home over the Beacon as far as Round Hill, then back. The sun was setting as we were on our way back to the Beacon and it was lovely still evening for fell running. We just got home with a few minutes to spare before dark and had sausage and beans for summer. It's been a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment